Sep 13, 2017
On August 23, Angolans went to the polls to elect a new parliament, and to determine who would replace President Jose Eduardo dos Santos, [Zhose Eduardo Dosh Santosh] who has governed the country for the past 38 years. It was Angola's fourth such election since independence from Portugal in 1975.
In 1979, Jose Eduardo Dos Santos [Zhose Eduardo Dosh Santosh] succeeded the country's first President, Agostinho Neto. This year, President Dos Santos declined to stand for another election. Instead, Angolan Defense Minister João Lourenço topped the party list for the ruling MPLA party. The MPLA won the election with 61 percent of the vote, giving them a majority of seats in parliament and making João Lourenço the next President. Five opposition parties split the remaining 39 percent of the vote.
“The United States congratulates the people of Angola for exercising their democratic right to vote in the August 23 historic national elections. We look forward to working with President-elect João Lourenço and the new Parliament of the Republic of Angola to further strengthen our bilateral relationship,” said State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert in a written statement.
“The United States stands by the people of Angola in their efforts to build strong, democratic, and inclusive institutions that are dedicated to ensuring a peaceful and prosperous future for all Angolans.”