【What you do】
1. I'm a / an (+ job).
e.g. a nurse / an accountant / a builder
2. I work in (+ place or general area).
e.g. a hospital / an office marketing / social
3. I work for (+ name / place of the company).
e.g. Union Bank / IBM / Fiat / an international bank
【What your job involves】
4. I'm in charge of
e.g. a big company
5. I'm responsible for
e.g. some workers in that department
6. I have to deal with
e.g. any complaints / overseas clients, mainly
7. I run
e.g. the company / a restaurant
8. I manage
e.g. a shop in downtown
【Daily duties / routines】
9. I have to go / attend (fml)
e.g. (to) a lot of meetings / conferences
10. I visit / see / meet
e.g. patients / clients
11. I advise
e.g. people / clients and give them help...
12. It involves
e.g. writing letters / filling in forms / doing a lot of paperwork / using computers a lot of the time
【Getting a job】
13. It's not easy to get / find work
e.g. in big cities / round these parts
14. I'd love to do
e.g. marketing / this kind of work
15. It's difficult to make a living as a / an
e.g. freelance writer
16. I've been offered a job
e.g. in that company / in London
17. I've applied for a job
e.g. in a local company / in the accounts department
18. I have a nine-to-five job / I work nine-to-five
(regular working hours in Britain)
19. I do / work shift work.
(nights one week, days next)
20. I am on flexi-time.
(flexible working hours)
21. I have to do / work overtime.
(work extra hours)
22. I only work part-time / take a part-time job.
(part of a day or a few days a week)
23. I am a workaholic. I work full-time.
(work too much)
24. I took early retirement.
(retire at 55 in Britain)
25. I am on / take sick leave.
(a period spent away from work, etc. because of illness)
26. I am on / take maternity leave.
(expecting a baby)
27. I gave up work
e.g. in order to study
28. I was laid off (infml)
e.g. when the factory went bust
29. I was made redundant.
(no longer needed and therefore out of work)
30. I was dismissed (fml)
e.g. for refusing to obey orders
31. I was fired (infml)
e.g. for always being late
I am on / off duty.
(to be working / not working)