6. Blind peoplereport that so-called 'facial vision' is comparable to the sensation of touchon the face. In fact, the sensation is more similar to the way in which painfrom a 6______arm or leg might be felt.
原文：Experiments showed that, in fact, facial vision is nothing to do withtouch or the front of the face, although the sensation may be referred to thefront of the face, like the referred pain in a phantom limb.
同义替换：report = showed ; is comparable to = bereferred to; arm or leg = limb ; similar = like
7. The abilityactually comes from perceiving 7______through the ears.
答案: echoes / obstacles
原文：The sensation of facial vision, it turns out, really goes in throughthe ears. Blind people, without even being aware of the fact, are actuallyusing echoes of their own footsteps and of other sounds, to sense the presenceof obstacles.
同义替换：perceiving = using
8. However, evenbefore this was understood, the principle had been applied in the design ofinstruments which calculated the 8_______of the seabed.
原文：Before this was discovered, engineers had already built instruments toexploit the principle, for example to measure the depth of the sea under aship.
同义替换：understood = discovered ; applied = exploit ;in the design of = built ; calculated = measure
9. This was followedby a wartime application in devices for finding 9________
原文：After this technique had been invented, it was only a matter of time beforeweapons designers adapted it for the detection of submarines.
同义替换：was followed by = it was only a matter oftime before ; application in = adapted it for ; finding = detection
22. Professor Prettyconcludes that our 22______are higher than most people realise, because we makethree different types of payment.
答案: food bills / costs
原文：Professor Pretty draws a simple but memorable conclusion from all this:our food bills are actually threefold. We are paying for our supposedly cheaperfood in three separate ways...
同义替换：concludes = draws a conclusion ; higher thanmost people realize = threefold ; supposedly cheaper food ; different =separate ; make payment = paying
23. He feels it isrealistic to suggest that Britain should reduce its reliance on 23…..
答案: （modern）intensive farming
原文：Breaking away from industrial agriculture as the solution to hunger maybe very hard for some countries, but in Britain, where the immediate need tosupply food is less urgent, and the costs and the damage of intensive farminghave been clearly seen, it may be more feasible.
24. Although mostfarmers would be unable to adapt to 24________
答案: organic farming
原文：Professor Pretty feels that organic farming would be too big a jump inthinking and in practices for many farmers...
同义替换：unable = too big a jump in thinking and inpractices for
25. Professor Prettywants the government to initiate change by establishing what he refers to as a25_______
答案: Greener Food Standard
原文：He is recommending the immediate introduction of a Greener Food Standard.
同义替换：wants = recommending ; establishing =introduction
26. He feels thiswould help to change the attitudes of both26______and_______
答案: farmers(and) ; consumers
原文：It could go a long way, he says, to shifting consumers as well asfarmers towards a more sustainable system of agriculture.
同义替换：change = shifting ; and = as well as